Happy New Year!
Yes, you've probably been wondering where I've been. Well you know me, I blog consistently for awhile and then...nothing. Chirp. Chirp.
Well, I'm back!
And what better way to start than with my awkward and awesome moments for the week (ok, and maybe the past few weeks to bring you up to speed) (Inspired by E from E is Random who was inspired by Sydney at The Daybook):
- Reading the blog of a breast cancer survivor who I follow to find out that she has decided to stop her treatment. She was diagnosed with Stage 4 breast cancer at 21 (no family history) and has continued to battle cancer and all of its complications for over 6 years. I don't know her, yet I feel like I do. Please say a prayer for her, her husband, and family and friends.
- The senseless massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newton, CT. Listening to the condensed obituaries every day on the morning news wasn't the best way to begin my day. To think about all of the young lives who never had a chance to really live is just heartbreaking.
- My PINK Family! The word spread quickly about the blogger who decided to stop her cancer treatment. Someone arranged 'A Pearl for Bridget' for everyone to send a pearl to her to let her know that she will never be forgotten, which is one of her fears. The response has been AMAZING! I've lost count of how many people, including me, are sending in pearls.
- My Mom making me feel special for Christmas since I wouldn't be spending it with family this year. Her care packages and beautiful cards were way more than I could have ever expected. Saying thank you doesn't even begin to express the love that I feel in my heart due to her kindness and love for me.
- Spending Christmas with my work family and making new friends. Four of us took in a movie, had a great dinner at a seafood restaurant, and then ended the evening with bowling! (And yes, I am a horrible bowler although I had a ton of fun!)
- Going ice skating with friends. No, I'm no Dorothy Hamel and yes, I have bruises to prove that I'm not.
- Going to Times Square for New Years Eve! Definitely a once in a life time opportunity and experience. Would I do it again? Probably not.
- Preparing to meet some of my family in Miami for the Orange Bowl game. (Go ND!)
- Returning to Weight Watchers (again!). On my second weigh in I lost 5 pounds. (Don't know how but I'll take it!)
Yes, I've had a lot of great moments over the past few weeks, and many moments that have left me wondering why. The 'why moments' have left me wondering how I can be a better person and if I'm living my life to its fullest potential. The 'why moments' are making me appreciate more the many things that I take for granted.
My hope for 2013 is to be the best person that I can. A better daughter, sister, friend...a better Shannon.